Sunday, June 25th: We depart at 8:00am from the MCC in San Francisco (Arrival time at the Monastery10:30am). Please arrive to the MCC at 7:45am.
Join in with our community for our Annual Trek to Abhayagiri Monastery. Abhayagiri is a Therevada Thai Forest Monastery above Ukiah in Redwood Valley. We begin the day by making a food offering to the Monastics, each of us will prepare a vegetarian meal/dish. Plus, we will make a group donation. After the meal and clean-up, we will gather in the community hall with Ajahn Pasanno. We are able to ask questions and receive the wonderful dharma teachings and reflections.
7:45am: Arrive MCC/Mindfulness Care Center
8:00am: We depart for drive to the Monastery
10:30am: Arrive at Abhayagiri, bring food to the kitchen help prep if needed.
11:00am: Meal Offering to the Monastics, shared community potluck, help clean-up. Look around the grounds.
1:00-2:00pm: Our group will meet with Ajahn Pasanno, plus make a group offering of the donations we've collected.
2:00 -3:00pm: Monastic and Lay Community Chanting & Sitting Meditation.
3:00-4:00pm: Dharma Talk/Reflection
4:00-5:00pm: Opportunity to visit the Big Buddha on the ceremonial platform up on the hill and view the living dwellings, huts/Kuti. Those who wish can take a short hike back down the hill. The land is also quite lovely for those who wish and are able to hike around.
5:00 - Final Questions & Answers with Ajahn Pasanno
Please review the list, things to keep in mind.
3. Departing from the MCC at 8:00am and we look to arrive by 10:30am.
4. When we arrive please help get the food on the tables and offer any support to the kitchen at the Monastery.
5. We are offering the meal for the day, please plan if possible to have food for at least 10 people or more. Do not plan on doing heavy cooking and prep when we arrive, have foods prepared as much as possible.
6. We can heat up our food though no cooking from scratch or lots or prep time.
7. We will make a group donation, please offer whatever you are able to do. Rik will collect this in the morning and make a group offering.
8. Wear clothing for hot weather as it can be in the 90's or more and if you're planning to hike wear proper shoes and sunscreen.
9. Wear modest clothing as this is a Monastic Monastery.
10. We depart the Monastery in the later afternoon.
11. Those who are driving, we can try carpooling together, though it is a long drive. Directions will be available, it is fairly easy to get there.
12. When arriving you can drive your car up to the kitchen building community hall area to drop off your food if you need. Then return your car back to the parking area. You will see some construction though you can still drive up to the buildings.