MCC Annual Trek to Abhayagiri Monastery... A Theravada Thai Forest Monastery in the Ajahn Chah lineage in Redwood Valley above Ukiah.
Sunday, June 17th: We depart at 8:00am from San Francisco
Join in with our community for our Annual Trek to Abhayagiri Monastery. Abhayagiri is a Therevada Thai Forest Monastery above Ukiah in Redwood Valley. We begin the day by making a food offering to the Monastics, each of us will prepare a vegetarian meal/dish. Plus, we will make a group donation.
We will join the community for a special day reflection. It’s the 100th Anniversary of Ajahn Chah’s birth.
Ajahn Pasanno will share readings from Ajahn Chah’s recently released autobiography, plus his personal reflections of living with Ajahn Chah. Ajahn Pasanno is the 3rd Western Disciple still practicing and living his life as a monk.
We are able to ask questions and receive the wonderful dharma teachings and reflections.
7:45am: Arrive at location TBD.
8:00am: We depart for drive to the Monastery
10:30am: Arrive at Abhayagiri, bring food to the kitchen help prep if needed.
11:00am: Meal Offering to the Monastics, shared community potluck, help clean-up.
1:00pm - 4:30pm: Reflections and Celebration of Ajahn Chah’s life and teachings.
5:00pm - 6:00pm: Depart
We will have an opportunity to ask questions of Ajahn Pasanno and make a group offering of the donations we've collected.
Please review the list, things to keep in mind.
1. The drive is approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes.
2, We depart San Francisco at 8:00am to arrive by 10:30am.
3.When we arrive please bring your food to the kitchen and offer any support to the kitchen setting up.
4. Please plan if possible to have food for at least 10 people or more. Do not plan on doing heavy cooking and have foods prepared as much as possible.
5. We can heat up our food though no cooking from scratch or lots or prep time.
6. We will make a group donation, please offer whatever you are able to do. Rik will collect this in the morning and make a group offering.
7. Wear clothing for hot or cool weather as it can be in the 90's or more, wear comfortable shoes
8. Wear modest clothing as this is a Monastic Monastery.
9. Those who are driving, we can try carpooling together, though it is a long drive. Directions will be available, it is fairly easy to get there.
12. When arriving drive up the hill and park your car back to the parking area.